Hillside Houses Quilt Along

Posted on: June 19th, 2015 by Lorna McMahon

Now she’s a finished flimsy….

Last week I showed this quilt top in my Let’s Bee Social post and explained all the problems I was having. So this is the ‘official’ finished top for my Hillside Houses quilt along. I have my batting, backing and binding ready to go. This is a pretty big top at 60″ x 70″ so I plan on taking this to church this week and basting on their big tables downstairs.

It was a perfect day for picture taking. The sky was overcast. But it wasn’t raining. And it has been doing a lot of that. There was only a slight breeze. Nevertheless …. the majority of my pictures showed more of the seams than the front of the top.

So I gave up and started back to the house. Along the way I made a new friend.

And took a few more pictures.

This bumble bee was busy. And buzzy.

Mostly you could only see him from the backside.

But if you got the timing right…

You could get a good shot before he dunked his head into the next flower.

Sure is a busy bee.

Linking up to Finish it up Friday with

Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts

(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = “https://widget.bloglovin.com/assets/widget/loader.js”;fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, “script”, “bloglovin-sdk”))

Delivered by FeedBurner Craftsy

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my posts are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1. Deb Chimes says:

What bee-utiful photos! And I just love seeing photos of your Hillside Houses Quilt!

2. Pretty flowers! Your flimsy looks wonderful! I have a bee in my bonnet to do a house quilt now.

3. Needled Mom says:

It turned out beautifully. I love the nature pictures too.

Lorna, it's SO pretty! I copied all the weekly tutorials so I can make one soon. Now I'm very excited about it!!

5. Bonny says:

Such a cool quilt – reminds me of the houses in Italy on the hillsides!So gorgeous and thank you for the tutorial. I'm going to give it a try!

Beautiful finish Lorna! These houses are bright, gorgeous and just amazing. I cannot wait to see how you wuilt this one!

7. Love this quilt. Reminds me of a Caribbean Island. Will you quilt it with your favorite wavy lines? Debbie

8. KMTrott says:

Looking forward to seeing your Hillside Houses quilted 🙂 How long will it take to quilt something that size? Great shots of the flowers and friends 🙂

9. Yours turned out beautiful. I have the fabric, I just need the TIMEI have the patterns printed and ready too lolThanks for the inspiration

10. Ruth says:

That came out really great – will be fab finished and quilted up!

11. Karen says:

I love your houses and even your seams look so pretty! Your work does a good job of competing with nature for beauty. 🙂

12. Susan says:

The top looks great! And so do all the bees – our yard doesn't have any this year. Quite distressing.

13. Ioleen says:

Quilt turned out beautifully. The colours are so happy and looking. Love the bees and flowers pictures. We have rose bushes at the front and the cat sits on the back of the couch and watches the bees.

14. Christine S says:

Love your finish! I have been gone for a month so mine is not done! Can't wait to get home and finish this one. I've yet to figure out how I'm going to quilt mine 🙂

15. Gorgeous quilt top! And beautiful flowers. Have a great weekend. Hopefully, there won't be any more rain. 🙂

16. Great design! I saved the patterns to make it later. L

17. Patty says:

It came out great! Nice job.

18. Wow, it's bigger than I thought. I love the colors so much! I have to to find more time to sew. Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

19. Cindy says:

I think your Hillside Houses quilt is wonderful! I have the last two blocks to make till I'm done…..kinda got distracted with a new project! Happens to me all to often. :)Can't wait to see how you quilt this one.

20. Yay, the houses are finished. And they look awesome! Your flowers are beautiful too!

21. JanineMarie says:

It looks wonderful, and the breeze shows off your oh-so-neat seams beautifully. Isn't church a great place for basting? I remember taking way too long to baste a quilt at church when my kids were little, and the pastor ended up playing with them for a while so I could finish. Your flowers (and bee!) are looking lovely.

22. Carla says:

Your houses look great. Weren't they fun?

23. Lesley says:

Fabulous quilt! The pictures of the quilt are amazing too…even with the wind!

24. Shauna says:

Your hillside houses look great! Love your flower and bee shots too.

25. The quilt turned out really lovely Lorna! I do love your quilts on fences, wind and all. 😉 I have to get my quilt started… been downloading the patterns, but haven't found the time. Your bees, butterfly and flowers pictures are so clear, such vibrant colours. Is that pink weigela? It's gorgeous. So much inspiration from Mother Nature, no?

Oh my, it is beautiful! I love it and I want one too! 🙂

27. Jasmine says:

Your hillside houses and photographs are beautiful! I loved seeing all the green behind your quilt.

28. Very cute finish. Also perfect that you got a photo of a bee. He should bee-come your blog mascot.

29. Love the colors… and all the friends you met along the way! Oh, the colors of nature are gorgeous , too.

30. Awesome!! And the back looks great as great.

I love seeing quilt backs, it gives me a little sneak peek into the construction of the quilt that you don't normally get to see so I am happy it was a little windy 🙂 Beautiful top.

32. Lara B. says:

Doesn't your quilt flimsy looks so beautiful set in the farm fields like that! It will be fun seeing how you decide to quilt it. I tried photographing a bumblebee the other day and didn't get any good shots… You got some very pretty pictures Lorna!

33. pollyanna says:

Such gorgeous flowers and quilt top and colors and happiness 🙂 Thanks!