Little Blooms {in Kona} Redo – in progress

Posted on: June 2nd, 2015 by Lorna McMahon

Every once in a while there is a need to sort through the piles of papers I accumulate. Sure beats cleaning the windows. Anyway….

Doodles.
Drawings.
Plans.
Ideas.
A big pile of papers.
Many big piles….

I ran into this picture, which was printed out back in November. Out of all the pages I sorted through, the solids version of this quilt was calling to me. I just. Had to. Make it.

Little Blooms by Sew Fresh Quilts

The original Little Blooms quilt was made using prints and each of the blocks was separated by narrow sashing. I modified the layout above to see how it would look with the sashing….

Little Blooms by Sew Fresh Quilts with sashing

But it just felt like it lost something. The punch of those solids seems to dissipate, I did not like it as well as the look of the blocks without the sashing. So I added more blocks to the layout….

Using the 7″ blocks in this layout – 9 blocks wide by 11 blocks long – will result in a quilt that finishes at 63″ x 77″ plus the border. My original layout used 30 blocks. This larger layout will require 99 blocks. What am I? Nuts?

Perhaps.  Yes.  Absolutely.

Kona yum.

I have added this 99 block layout to the instructions for the Little Blooms pattern.

Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall. Ninety-nine bottles of beer….

Delivered by FeedBurner

Go Big Electric Fabric Cutter at Accuquilt.comDisclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my posts are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1. margaret says:

this is going to be spectacular when completed

2. Wonderful and… Sew fresh!

3. You don't mess around do ya?; )

4. always love your use of solid fabrics – this is one nice pattern

5. Love the Kona! Do you ever sleep? I'm amazed at how much you accomplish each week.

6. Rosa says:

Wow,those blocks are just fantastic and love all your fabric choice!

7. SarahZ says:

Haha! These are wonderful!! I agree…you basically had no choice but to make this 🙂

8. Vicki in MN says:

I agree adding the sashing appears to wash out the colors because it adds more white to the quilt. Good choice not to go with the sashing, cuteness!!

9. OOO-LA-LA! I love your crazy mind! Countin flowers on the wall, it don't bother me at all…….

10. Great block with lots of possibilities! I agree, it's more impactful without the extra white sashing. Good choice. It would be interesting to play with coloring each wrench shape in the corner of the block a different color, and color four adjacent ones the same. It would make an X shape with \”teeth\” – sort of gear like. Could develop into something interesting….

11. Susan says:

This one is going to be beautiful – just hope 99 doesn't get boring!

12. Laura Chaney says:

I absolutely love seeing blocks done in solids like this. However, I now have the 99 bottles of beer song in my head which means it's going to be a looooong day here at the office. 🙂

13. Lorna, I love this block and the layout. Really sings Spring.

14. Lara B. says:

Sew Terrific Lorna! I remember loving how Little Blooms looked in printed fabric but the solids look even more marvelous!

15. Margo Yang says:

Look at all those blocks! I don't know how you did it, Lorna. The blooms are beautiful and when they're put together, gorgeous!

16. Ioleen says:

Love these blocks. 99 you say – you go girl !!!!

17. Love this in the solids. Debbie

18. Sewmom18 says:

You are just a quilt addict, not a bad thing.

19. Heidi says:

One of my faves and I love this version. I tossed oodles of sketchy papers yesterday too..

20. Patty says:

How fun! Color looks great!

21. Jasmine says:

That is going to be super cute! Crazy, yes! But still super cute!

22. KaHolly says:

I've always admired this pattern…it's on my wish list. It's going to be stunning!