Posted on: February 4th, 2015 by Lorna McMahon

What am I doing this week?  Working on WoW-E! #3 – a custom order toddler quilt.

This really is a labour and time intensive quilt.  This quilt is one row and one column larger than the original WoW-E!  For a quilt this size, first you have to make 272 small and 272 large HST.

These are pieced together with sashing between them to make the blocks.

During all those hours spent piecing and pressing, I thought about how much I would like to make this quilt again.  No.  Really.  And when I do, these blocks are going to be in an on point setting.  And the quilt would be 57″ x 71″.

WoW-E! in SOLIDS on point – 57″ x 71″

Just for fun, I used my (Electric Quilt) EQ7 quilt program to draw a mock up to show how the on point setting would look using the Fresh Cut collection by Basic Grey for Moda Fabrics.

WoW-E! in Fresh Cut by Basic Grey for Moda on point – 57″ x 71″

This is my third time making a quilt using the WoW-E! pattern. And when I do get around to making my fourth using the on point setting, I will add that to the pattern as a bonus.

NOW…. Let’s PARTY!!!!  What’s new with you?

If you are not sure what Let’s Bee Social is all about, you can read the details here.

Delivered by FeedBurner

1. Wow!! That looks amazing! Can't wait to see it :)-Soma

2. Cassandra says:

This is a gorgeous design! I love the linear elements incorporated into the star pattern.

3. Rachell says:

Not sure what happened to my first post! Wow is right! At first, I thought it was paper-pieced. and I love the on-point setting, too. I'm glad that you plan on adding the on-point to the pattern after you've made it. yay!

4. WowEEEEK!!! That looks like a ton of work, but is it EVER pretty!!!

5. Jacqui S. says:

Very very good indeed.

6. Wow! That's a gorgeous pattern! There's a lot of cutting and piecing involved. And precision. And good workmanship. I'm looking forward seeing the finished top!

7. Out of all the quilts I can remember encountering here on your blog, WoW-E is my favorite. Now, I just need to find the time to make one myself!

8. I love this design Lorna – a labour of love, but so worth it!

9. Dominique says:

Wow, Lorna, that looks like a lot of work, but it will be really nice. I admire your patience for intricate and finicky blocks. Oh, and Thanks for starting and Let's Bee Social and keeping up with it!

10. Patricia says:

The design is awesome. Will need to keep learning quilt making before I try it.

11. This pattern is so versatile and fun! I'll certainly have to give it a try sometime. 🙂

12. I really like that pattern!

13. My goodness that is a lot of HSTs .. please tell me you have one of those machine cutting contraptions to help you with all of those?!

14. Sandy says:

fantastic quilt now matter what fabric you use!!

I love the design on point, that is going to be one beautiful (and large) toddler quilt.

16. That is a lot of pieces, but I'm sure it will look great when it is done, just like the others.

17. Congratulations on the commission, and how fun to modify the pattern – I really like it set on point.

18. Jereena says:

Wow! WoW E is the perfect name for this quilt. It looks amazing, both original and modified pattern. As always the colors are really nice.

Perfectly named…a big fat WOW from me! I just love it and all those pieces! Beautiful!

20. SarahZ says:

You know I love this pattern, and HSTs of any size…as I looked at the box full of tinies, I thought how fun it would be to maximize the size, by making the blocks super sized….and just make a lot fewer of them 🙂 I love the on-point setting too!

21. wow! that is a lot of work! I linked up to the t-shirt quilt I am making for my granddaughter, I just got it back from the quilter and uploaded a sneak-peek picture, now on to the label and binding. Have a great day!

Oooh, I love the on-point version and the Fresh Cut fabrics are great!

23. Wow….eee is right. What a lovely pattern and you are so organized!

24. Preeti says:

That is \”so much work\” so involved…WOW indeed!!!Sure it will turn out to be gorgeous quilt!!!

25. Lorna, I love how graphic this is with your color choices! Bold and gorgeous!

26. Ruth says:

Love this design and the colour choices! Both the solids and the Fresh cut!

27. Marly says:

Lovely design; those blocks look stunning in solids.

28. JanineMarie says:

WOW is right! Whatta lotta HSTs! That's an amazing quilt. I really like the on-point version, too.

oh my but it sure does look great!

30. Lara B. says:

Wow-E continues to Wow! Looks wonderful on point! Lorna, you are one talented quilter!