Posted on: October 15th, 2014 by Lorna McMahon

I don’t usually work on block quilts.
And it’s been quite a while since I last used any prints.

But I am now!

This is my first block of a 30 block quilt.  The blocks finish at 7″ square.

I am using what remains of my Basic Shades from Riley Blake Designs, used previously here.  I love the softened, less saturated look of these fabrics.  And am enjoying pairing each one up with a coordinating print.

NOW…. What’s new with you?

If you are not sure what Let’s Bee Social is all about, you can read the details here.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my posts are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

That is such a soft, beautiful block!

2. Jacqui S. says:

A lovely first block for your quilt.

3. This looks like the beginnings of a beautiful quilt 🙂

4. You certainly coordinated a beautiful print in the above block! I like the brown square next to it and the solid fabric. That's promising…

5. What a pretty block and fabrics / colors! 🙂

6. Maryse says:

Good to see you doing something different. It's a beautiful block and I like this very much. I will be following the progress with interest. Lovely so far!

7. LA Paylor says:

these colors, fabrics and threads are beautiful, soothing and cheerful. What made you work differently? It's a good thing, just wondering… LeeAnna at not afraid of color

8. Vicki in MN says:

Love the colorings of your block-looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

9. I love the colours in this block. It is listed as #42 – I looked for the other blocks but couldn't find them – maybe I'm a little mixed up and it's just a post number?

10. Zenia Rene says:

I like what you are doing w/the basic shades. Looking forward to seeing the completed quilt top.

11. I like that you are using solids. Not much out there that does. I want to make a solid two color quilt, maybe try this pattern. Debbie at Daytona Damsel

I want that thread!! Love the colors of the thread and fabric! Nice and bright! My kind of colors!

13. Your block is very sweet. I need to check into Riley Blake's basic shades.

Great beginnings to a quilt, it is going to be very cute!

What a yummy colors!

16. Lorna, this is yet another cute block. I find so much inspiration from you. I love the fabrics. I linked to the Lets be Social, my first time linking anywhere ever. Exciting

17. Great blocks and wonderful shades! Thanks for the party!

18. I love your block. I wouldn't have thought to put those two colors together like that! Very nice!

19. Great block and love all the solids as well. Only 29 more to go….:)

20. Allison says:

I love 30's prints. I really like how you paired the 30's print with the soft solid–so fresh. Can't wait to see what you make with it.

21. I like how you are colour coordinating the solids and the prints. It will be a beautiful quilt, Lorna! -Soma