Sewing for Me in March – Week #2
In celebration of World Wide Quilting Day, I am sharing the progress made on my latest quilting adventure! A quilted jacket.
Last week I acquired the fabric and found the perfect pattern needed to make myself a jacket. And then listed my next steps, which were to . . . .
A) figure out what fabric I am going to use as the lining side for the inside of the jacket
B) decide whether to piece the fabric or just use the fabrics as is to make the sections
C) choose thread and a design to do the quilting with
For the lining, I did find a piece of what I am assuming is a poly cotton blend in my stash. This piece of broadcloth was just the right width and length to use as the backing for my quilt sandwich.
In the comments left on my last post, my friend Teje of Nero’s Post and Patch said, “I would make absolutely pieced ‘outside’ – you are a quilter – right?! Shouldn’t you have a patchwork jacket!“
Although it was difficult to cut into those Charley Harper fabrics, as a quilter, I knew it must be done. It did take me a while to work out the layout, but in the end, I went with simple vertical strips. They say horizontal strips make you look wider. So of course I am hoping the vertical piecing will give the illusion of taller rather than wider. Hoping!
The strips were pieced into columns and then the columns were joined. I spread out the broadcloth on my quilting frame, placed the quilt batting on top, and then smoothed out the newly pieced top. And began to pin.
Superior Threads had kindly offered to sponsor the thread for this project. This was right after finishing my Modern Charm quilt, and back when I still was in the planning stages for this jacket. I ordered some very bright yellow and orange Magnifico threads.
Knowing now that my palette was based on teal, mustard and mushroom, I felt that those bright new threads would not be giving the look that I was going for with this wearable piece. I dug into my stash of Superior Threads and chose my variegated blue Fantastico #5006 Niagra. Using a 3.5 stitch length, I quilted 1/4″ along each side of every vertical seam line.
Digging into my thread stash once more, I came up with a cone of variegated Fantastico #5005 October and quilted 1/4″ away from each of my previous stitch lines.
My goals for the coming week…….
A) layout the pattern pieces and cut them out
B) begin piecing the jacket together
Linking up with everyone at Sarah’s for Week 2 Progress.
Come on over and check out the progress of all the other linkers!
I am really enjoying the learning process this project has provided.
It is scary fun to try new things.
And I am so glad to be making something for me!
Thank you for the helpful advice and for all your kind words of encouragement!!!