Quilt Tree {for Charity}

Posted on: November 25th, 2013 by Lorna McMahon
Introducing……  The Kenya Quilt Tree!

Kenya Quilt Tree

At the end of October, I shared a post introducing you to the Lala Salama quilts drive.

They are building a new children’s hospital in Kenya
and are seeking help from the quilting community.
I signed up for the project and did a fabric pull in anticipation of making a quilt to send.
This stack of fabric sat at the end of my desk as I finished up my other works in progress.

I listened carefully as that pile of greens and blues

whispered to me while I worked.

Fabric Inspiration

Inspiration set in……

I pictured those cool colours, straight and true, swaying in a gentle breeze.

Tall and strong.  A  Tree full of Life.
Home to small creatures that rely on the tree for protection and shelter.
The last seam….

And then that tree was a top!

Backing, batting and quilting…. Were up nest next!

Mom and Tots in Nest

I was grateful for the new shiny Superior Fantastico thread from Madame Samm!  It quilted up sew fantastico-ly!  I ended up heading to the Superior site and buying two large cones!

Quilting Detail
Quilting Detail and Binding
I am very excited to share the Lala Salama (Sleep Peacefully) 100 Quilts drive with you!

I would be so touched to know that this post has inspired you to donate a quilt for this worthy cause.

Julie is heading up the project in Kenya and has informed me that, as of today, we are as a team. upwards of 65 quilts promised and at least one is almost on its way there!  There are both Canadian and US addresses to which these quilts can be mailed if you are unable to ship all the way to Africa.

This hospital will serve vulnerable children all over East Africa with medical and surgical conditions, especially Spina Bifida and birth defects.
If you feel like you may want to help get the total from 65 promised quilts one quilt closer to the 100 needed, please click on this link to visit the Lala Salma – 100 Quilts Project blog, where you can read up on the details!  And if you are so inclined to help, please fill in the form below!

And then consider yourself hugged – from me to you!

1. Your quilt is absolutely precious Lorna! I can't commit right now but I have hearted the link and hope some time presents itself so I can join in.Love your quilting designs on that quilt!!

2. Fabulous quilting Lorna – and what a lovely quilt to donate 🙂

3. What a beautiful quilt! So perfect for the occasion! And your quilting is amazing! Do you do this on a domestic machine?

4. Lovely Lorna! It's a beautiful quilt and so fantastic of you to donate!

5. Great quilting, Lorna, I especially love the bark quilting on the tree trunk and branches. This is awesome that you've put together a special quilt for the Lala Salama quilt drive.

6. Dominique says:

Your quilt is absolutely wonderful, Lorna. I love the design and the quilting is perfect!

7. Dominique says:

Oh my Lorna…You are amazing! You have outdone yourself. This is an amazing quilt. Your quilting is astonishing! WOW!!

9. Wow Lorna, You're such a generous spirit. Love your quilt. Feeling inspired, will see what comes of it.Janeen@QADesigns

10. Elise Lea says:

Absolutely Incredible! The detail is amazing and that quilting is just so perfect. Great finish to such a worthy cause!

11. Sewing Mom says:

It's beautiful Lorna…and the bird is just adorable! Reminds me of a story I heard when I was a child about a mother bird protecting her young. Great work and great cause!

Beautiful quilt for a beautiful cause!

13. Cathy says:

It's beautiful! I will definitely look into finding the time to create a quilt for this great cause..

Someone is going to be so comforted by this scene of a mother bird caring for her babies. The meaning is understood in any language.

15. P. says:

Lovely, lovely quilt, Lorna! Your quilting is beautiful. (I loved your perfection post as well.) Thanks for the information on this worthy cause.

16. Renee says:

Beautiful quilt! I love the pattern you created, and the little birds, and the quilting looks great on it too. I am definitely considering making a quilt as well…just trying to figure out if I can meet the deadline! Thanks for all the info 🙂

17. Sara says:

What a beauty she is!! The thread is gorgeous with your pretty quilting job!

18. Lorna….i am so very touched by your post. I can not commit at this time, but my prayers go out to your mission. 🙂

19. What a generous thing you are doing and such a beautiful quilt.

20. What a beautiful quilt for a wonderful cause! Your quilting is gorgeous, Lorna!

21. Jenn says:

Gorgeous quilt :). Love your quilting. Perfect quilt for a great cause.Cheers,Jenn from Mellycoddle

22. That variegated thread looks beautiful! Lovely quilting 🙂 thanks for linking up,

23. Mardi says:

Lorna, this is stunning. Thank you, sincerely, from all of us in Kijabe. Can I post the pic to the Lala Salama FB page?

24. Lorna – this quilt is simply adorable and the quilting on it is fantastic!!

25. Lorna this is such an adorable quilt. Love the tree and the sweet bird in the nest. The quilting is awesome too! This is such a nice quilt for the Kenya project.

26. Jeanne says: