Oblongagon Flimsy

Posted on: October 3rd, 2013 by Lorna McMahon
On Wednesday, I introduced the Oblongagon.   And I was surprised and delighted to receive so many uplifting comments and compliments.  A few of them were incredibly funny and those had me smiling and even laughing out loud!  For realzies!

All this friendly encouragement spurred me on to get this top pieced and completed for a Friday flimsy finish.

About the piecing…

Sewing the pieces into columns.  Love that part.

Sewing the columns together?  S-L-O-W going, but very doable!
Around column 9, I started timing how long it was taking me to add one column and it was about 30 minutes.  I really have to promise myself to revert back to that KYSS policy.

Keep Your Sewing Simple!

But the finished look is so worth the extra time and effort.

Sitting in the quilting frame – resting on a super soft layer of poly/cotton batting – ready for basting.
So that’s my Friday flimsy finish.  This quilt is all basted up and will be quilted this weekend.
Hmmmm…. Still undecided about the binding.

Thankfully, I can now stroke “learning how to sew Y seams” off my list!

That will sure be a big relief to Jessica…. Jessica: It turns out Y seams aren’t so bad after all!

Do I think this would make a great pattern?  Yes, hexagons or oblongagons do make an attractive quilt.  But No, most people would not prefer to spend so long working on those tedious, continuous Y seams.  So there will not be a oblongagon quilt along coming from me.

Sorry to disappoint.  Wink, wink!

Have a happy weekend and….

1. The result is beautiful! But Y seams still make me tremble!

2. y-seams! that's brave I still need to work up the nerve to attempt them :)Lovely quilt top.

Wow, you managed to get those reds scattered out so evenly! This is absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see this one completed.

4. Anne says:

It's absolutely gorgeous, Lorna. :o)

5. Came out beautifully! Nice work. 🙂

6. Your quilt is beautiful! It will be a collector quilt.Barb@Witsend

Fabulous…just love it. The colours and fabric are beautiful. Yes it would make a great pattern. Go for it! Marie

I was so excited about oblogononons and then you mentioned Y seams. Augh! I love how your quilt top finished up though.

9. You are GOOD!!! Very good!! Look how fast you turned this into a quilt top….and a gorgeous one at that! Tutorial or advice on Y seams please????

10. Kris says:

Love the layout of color. I think the red on the binding! 🙂

11. Loving those pops of color against the gray! Nice going, Lorna!!

12. tubakk says:

This looks beautiful. I once did a quilt where I had to sew rows of hexies together. I will never do that again.

I haven't tried Y seems but I so want to now, lol. Love your quilt! I hope the quilting part went all right.

14. Paula says:

Very pretty! Love the fabric colors/patterns. I've not attempted Y seams. They are not on my to-do list either! 🙂

15. Oh wow, that came out so fabuous! You go with your y-seams:)

16. Kudos for sewing all those \”Y\” seams!! Your quilt top is wonderful! Love your choices of color and fabric!

17. Julie Cefalu says:

Absolutely worth the time you put into it! I love it!Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

18. Kathy S. says:

Gorgeous! Congrats on finishing all those Y Seams. They were definitely worth it. Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

I have never tackled Y seams, but your quilt inpires me to try 🙂

20. Renee says:

What a cool quilt! I love the colors, shape and layout, can't wait to see how you quilt it 🙂

Loving the use of the Henry Glass fabric in this quilt! Nicely done! 🙂