Broken Herringbone, Baby!

Posted on: September 20th, 2013 by Lorna McMahon

I have made great progress and finished enough blocks for a great sized baby boy quilt.  These prints are from Kate Spain’s new line Sunnyside.

Here is my finished top…..
And here is the pieced backing.
I used two half yards and a strip I created using some of the scraps from making the blocks….
If you are interested in making your own Broken Herringbone blocks, you can find the tutorial here….

Now to decide on the quilting!  Any suggestions?

Beautiful quilt Lorna. Love those herringbone blocks. Thanks for sharing. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

2. Jessica says:

Sooo pretty! Any baby would love it 🙂 You could trace the herringbones, or you could do circle quilting – that would be a cool contrast from all the angles!

3. John Main says:

Great job! I agree with Jessica trace the herringbone pattern or circle as a contrast. Maybe even zig zags??

4. I love the fabrics that you've chosen! It's really beautiful 🙂

Looks good. Well done. I'm making top only and I leave the quilting issue to someone else, lol. Good luck with yours.

6. This looks amazing! I love how you came up with such a great back as well. I'm lost on the quilting part. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do as well and I have no idea. Good Luck!

7. Absolutely love this quilt top – it's just fantastic!!

8. Glinda ♥ says:

Deliciously delightful, Lorna – great colours 🙂

9. Cloud CouCou says:

I knew this was going to look gorgeous and I was right! Interested to see how you decide to quilt it. I would offer some suggestions, but as my experience is so limited I'm not sure I can come up with anything useful!!

10. Oh how I love the sashing. I think that might be one of my favorite colors ever. :)Looks fantastic!

11. Karin says:

Love this, particularly the light green sashing. Not sure re the quilting. Sometimes, I think, it's best to just quilt in-the-ditch so as to not overpower the quilt.

12. It looks gorgeous! Perfect choice of fabrics!

13. JB says:

Looks great Lorna!

14. Allison says:

So beautiful! I really like the pieced strip you did on the backing–it really ties into the front. I'm just starting to learn FMQ, so I haven't a clue what to suggest as far as quilting it. But, I'm excited to see the final results.It this block a difficult block to make?

15. This is such a beautiful quilt Lorna! I like the variation that you have in the sashing. I think it adds a lot of interest.:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

LOVE!!!! this is so much fun. As far as quilting…linear.

You know I love this top!!