Finished! Oh My, Scrappy Stars! Just under the wire!

Posted on: July 30th, 2013 by Lorna McMahon

Ta, Dum!

This is my first time participating in the A Lovely Year of Finishes.

It is hosted by these talented ladies….
Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts and Melissa from Sew BitterSweet Designs.
Since it is my first time, I decided to keep it simple, and only set one goal….
To finish my Oh My, Scrappy Stars! quilt top and get it quilted on my tiny Janome!

This quilt is designed to measure 100″ x 100″,
made using 2356 – 2″ finished size squares and 9 – 8″ finished squares in the center of the star blocks.

It’s a good thing that I did keep it SIMPLE!  That quilt just about did me in!

Quilting detail on 5 of the 9 star blocks…

And quilting detail on the other 4 of the 9 star blocks

I used the same fabrics for the backing as were used in the quilt top.

Quilting detail from the back

So for August…. my new motto is KYSS as in #KeepYourSewingSimple

My preliminary August “String Thing” goals are:

• A sewing room wall hanging
  • A gal themed beach quilt
  • A guy themed beach quilt

Linking my July finish at Elizabeth’s blog (Such a Sew and Sew) for the A Stitch in Time linky party!  July Finishes

Keep on, Quilting on!

1. Missy Shay says:

It looks great! Good job, I've quilted all of my other quilts on a Janome also, but my newest quilt is being quilted on my treadle!

2. Dominique says:

First time on your blog – wow, that is quite the intricate quilt. What patience! it is lovely. I enjoy your posts and love your Fall Leaves top.

3. P. says:

Awesome finish, Lorna! Gotta hand it to you for your tenacity in quilting such a large quilt on your domestic machine. You did a great job and it turned out beautifully!

What a lovely quilt. Great quilting on a Janome!

Love it Lorna! Your quilting turned out fantastic.

6. JB says:

Congratulations Lorna, it is superb!

7. My heavens, woman! You are a quilter extraordinaire! That's a crazy amount of blocks. The colors are super-duper. Kudos to quilting a king size quilt on your Janome. It will be lovely on your bed and each time you see it you're going to feel a great big, fuzzy warm feeling inside you.

8. Lucy Blossom says:

What a stunning quilt you've made, it must have taken you ages.

9. Awesome! I love it! love it! love it!

10. Congratulations on this enormois quilt! Glad you came to your sences with the KYSS! ;-)EstherEsthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot comIpatchandquilt dot yahoo dot com

11. Gorgeous quilt!! Your quilting is just perfect!!

12. Beautiful Lorna and congrats on a fantastic finish!! Thanks for sharing.Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

I love your quilt, I long to be able to make something so special!

14. This is so detailed! All your small little squares line up nicely and the design is spectacular. The quilting really finished it off nicely.

15. evaj says:

Wow,wow,wow!!!!Hugs Bambi

16. You did it! Congratulations, it came out perfectly and you certainly deserve to be proud of it. 🙂

17. Love your blog! You have some wonderful patterns. I also like seeing the quilting on your Oh My, Scrappy Stars quilt! Beautiful work. I'm going to try and follow your blog. Not sure I can figure that out…..

18. Karin says:

Beautiful…you have got an eye for colour arrangement. And again, I cannot believe how quickly you put this together. The quilting looks great and I can imagine that this was difficult to do. Glad you persevered as it suits the quilt.

19. Julianne says:

Beautiful Lorna..I am stil plugging along on mine!

20. nicely done! It looks fabulous!

21. Melissa says:

Sew incredibly fabulous! Congratulations!

22. knottygnome says:

so striking! and such a large quilt. congrats!

23. Your quilting is fantastic! Great job.

24. Margaret says:

2356 squares and 100\” x 100\” is simple?! What, then, is complex? It's a fabulous quilt — and you are deservedly proud of your work!

Wow. This quilt is scrappy fabulousness. I am in awe of all the work you did to make it.

26. Wow that is beautiful!

27. A great quilt finished! I do believe this is my first visit to your blog and am so glad you linked up to the Needle and Thread network so I could find you! I checked out some of your other pages and discovered your tutorials! I love the Happy go lucky block tutorial! Am going to give it a test to see how it works for me.

28. This is so far from simple… unless you want to say simply beautiful. Congratulations on your big finish- quilting and all.

29. Lorna, this quilt is absolutely fantastic!! I just love how all of the different quilting textures make the quilt come to life. Just beautiful!Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

30. Oh my… this is just so wonderful! I love your quilting choices.

31. kim says:

Great job on the quilting. You did that all on a little Janome? You inspire me..

32. Maja says:

You have made a heirloom.So great!

33. Elizabeth says:

Wow! That quilt is amazing. I love your use of color and the quilting accents it perfectly! Beautifully done! Congrats on a great finish and thank you for linking up!xo -E

Loving the Stars and the quilting is amazing. Stopping by from My Quilt Infatuation. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

35. Laura says:

Now that is a gorgeous mix of low and high volume beautifully integrated. Thanks for linking up!

36. Laura says:

Great job on the quilt! I love the scrappiness of it all!

37. Great finish! Thanks for sharing the quilting from the back.

38. Kathy says:

Oh, that is beautiful. I love how it is scrappy and yet still has a very planned look — and the quilting complements it so nicely. Great job!

39. Elise Lea says:

Looks great! I love the quilting you did on this quilt – it must have taken forever, especially with all those thread changes…