Baby quilt for Lucia! – progress

Posted on: April 26th, 2013 by Lorna McMahon

I have been working this week on another baby quilt.  This special quilt is for a special little girl who is now six weeks old.  Her name is Lucia.  Lucia’s grandma, Margie, seen the Lucky Ducky wall hanging I have listed in my Etsy shop.  And she wanted a quilt made.

Here is the progress sew far…..

The wall hanging version is 12″ x 12″ and was done using raw edge applique.  The crib quilt has been difficult to construct in that it is made using a turned edge.  Obviously, I am also having trouble with proportion!  I thought the duck was huge…. But now I see that the frog is WAY bigger than he should be, too.  And those duck feet…. Er….  Not looking sew hot, I think.  I will have to reduce their size.  And the contrast in the colours of the orange fabrics used – I am not happy with that either.

So, what do you think?  Would you change the size of the duck feet?  Would you choose a lighter fabric for the webbing on the feet?  Or would you just leave it as is?  Love to hear your opinion!

Edited —– April 28th

Little smaller feet and lighter coloured webbing….  Water lines added…. Quilting up next!

1. P. says:

Both the wall hanging and the crib quilt are adorable!

2. Your baby quilt is looking sooooo cute!! I would however fix the size of their feet, other than that it looks just great! ♥

3. Now that is just tooooo cute.

4. I sure do appreciate your honesty, Marelize! That's what I am looking for – constructive criticism. Thank you!

I think they look amazing ! My applique is still a skill I need to work on more but I agree with Marelize I would make the feet smaller as well, as for the webbing, I would leave it as is, ducks feet do not have alot of contrast between the foot and the webbing, so I think your safe !

Oh my gosh this is adorable! I would change the feet and do the lighter fabric for the webbing. How cute though, seriously!!!! 🙂

7. Sewing Mom says:

Wow, it's looking great. I've never attempted anything like that, so it's nice to see different quilting ideas. Visiting from \”Let's Get Acquainted.\”

8. Mareenchen says:

Oh my, that's so darn cute! Stopping by from \”Let's Get Acquainted\”.

9. Karin says:

Yes, love your edited version…I think the feet look better in lighter fabric with the less obvious webbing. Very cute!

10. Vicki in MN says:

They are adorable, but IMHO I would change the size of the feet and in the wall hanging your feet and the web seem to be closer in color-maybe that would help in the crib quilt. You are very creative!!

11. Kirsten says:

This cute design will make such a beautiful baby quilt – thanks for linking up this week.

12. Renee says:

How cuuuute!! I like the changes you made it looks great.

13. Whitney says:

this is incredible!! i don't think it would matter if you changed the feet or not i'd still think it was great! beautiful work!

14. Michelle says: